Re: Transparenet vs Original

From: miguel a.l. paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 02:41:23 +0800 (HKT)

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, A.Saeed wrote:

> Do the transparent proxy (cisco+linux) will be a better solution or just
> telling everybody our proxy server's ip is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 3128 ??
> Do tradeoff exits or not ?
>
> which one is the better ? I m tired of publisizing my proxy.

The main reason we have not yet adopted transparent proxying in an ISP
environment, or blocking port 80 access for that matter, is the
availability of Squid. With transparent proxying, the user has no chance
of turning off the proxies.

IMHO, it does make sense in a firewall environment where internal users
use private IP addresses and have no way of straight out, anyway.

Cheers,

--
miguel a.l. paraz	iphil communications, makati city, ph	+63-2-750-2288