Load balancing w/ Squid and Linux

From: Daniel Kiracofe <drk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:52:36 +0000 ( )

  I have a Squid 1.1.20 server running on Linux 2.0.32. We have a 56k
connection to the outside world, and are experimenting with an additional
satellite downlink. The satellite's bandwidth is great at times, but not
at others. We'd like to be able to use both interfaces to retrieve web
pages for squid. However, I'm not sure how to do this.
  The satellite interface is currently running on an NT box. I can have
squid request everything from it, but then the 56k line is next to dead
(mail and ftp still run over it, but take little bandwidth). If it would
make it easier to do what we want, the satellite could be moved to the
linux box.
  I've thought of writing my own proxy that would distribute the requests
between two interfaces, but I don't have that much time on my hands. I
thought of hacking either the Linux kernel or Squid, but I don't know the
code well enough to do it quickly, efficiently, and most importantly,
stably.
  Has anyone done this before? Is there a utility or a patch that would
let us do this? Thanx much...

/* Daniel */
E-mail: kiracofe.8@osu.edu
WWW: http://users.gurulink.com/drk

"Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself" - Mediocrates