Re: Slow responses

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:50:17 +0100

On Friday 23 January 1998, at 16 h 33, the keyboard of Terje Krogdahl
<tekr@nextel.no> wrote:

> I have a squid 1.1.18 running on a DEC alphaserver 800 box, with
> DEC unix 4.0b. The cache filesystem is 16GB.

We had almost the same for our national cache.

> When the cache gets a lot of requests (it serves over 2 million requests
> each day, and at peak reaches nearly 50 requests per second) the response is
> horrible. Pages that can be fetced directly from the webserver

You're better than us. We stopped at 25 requests/second, at which point
the response time was too horrible.

> may take a minute or two from the cache. There is no paging going on, and
> neither raw disk I/O nor network I/O seems to be a problem. Of my 16 dnsserver
> processes the last few are rarely used. CPU load rarely goes above 0.5.

Same symptoms for us.

We tried a PC/Linux and went a bit further. Then, we dropped the whole stuff. It seems no one uses Squid for huge national caches with success. (We still use it for campus or even regional caches.)