Re: CONNECT_FAIL problem

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 02:50:04 +1000

Michael Pelletier wrote:

> > ERR_CONNECT_FAIL means: The connection was refused (the webserver wasn't
> > running) or timed out (the webserver wasn't routable to (unreachable))
>
> For some web servers, most notably Microsoft's, the connection refused
> also can mean that the web server is too busy to respond to your request

Heh. Actually, I thought that one was self-evident. By the time I remembered
that it was stupid of me to assume that it was, I'd sent the message...And
I've been trying to break the habit of sending about three successive emails
to get one thought across (with some limited success thus far).

> -- that's what prompted me to write the connect-retry patch in the first
> place, since users had no way to know that if they clicked reload once or
> twice, the page would come up.

We fortunately (or un-) go through a parent (always)...so we don't really have
much of a problem with that. I made a one-byte change to http.c that makes
sure that squid keeps trying the parent, which means if they _do_ become
unavailable, there's no waiting involved when they come back.

I _must_ remember to pester their cache-admin for a copy of their caching
policy....

> Maybe there's an ACL in place that prevents access from 127.0.0.1 to the
> web server, which would explain why everyone else seems to be able to
> access the page?

Hmmm..Not a bad thought, Michael. Most people forget to allow localhost in
their access blocks..I just get the impression he was timing-out on the
request, though.

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.