Re: Commercal Providers

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:07:50 +1000

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> > Is squid sutible for commercal providers?
>
> I hope so - we're running it in very serious production.
>
> > Are there any issues with web certain web sites that don't like to be
> > cached?
>
> Certain sites have, in the past, done things like deliberately setting the
> expiry time of all files to 'now'. Generally putting a forced TTL in the
> squid config, and mailing the site in question to tell them that this is
> what has been done, will get their attention. :)
> (most of the sites eventually get a clue and fix their setup).

Some examples are anything ending in .asp (active server pages, courtesy of
microsoft). You get an expires header (sometimes set to 'now', sometimes
backdated), a 'pragma: no-cache', a 'cache-control: no-store' and something
else that prevents it..damned if I can remember what. Usually you'll get two
or three of the above list (sometimes several times in a single
response-header) depending on the exact build you encounter...There seem to be
at least a dozen.

*sigh* At least we can cache the images. Small mercies and all that..

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.