How to use parent for all but some top-level domains?

From: Santeri Paavolainen <santtu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:35:39 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

We have a situation where we're running Squid, set up to use a single
no-query parent as default (the ISP cache). That ISP cache *does not*
allow requests for URL's in the ".fi" top-level domain.

The question is how can I force Squid to fetch

        all ".fi" via DIRECT, and
        all others via DEFAULT_PARENT?

I have tried putting ".fi" and "fi" to inside_firewall, local_domains,
hierarchy_stoplist but no avail, I always get something like

        No peers to query and the host is beyond your firewall.

If I enter some specific fi-domain (xxx.fi) to the inside_firewall
Squid fetches direct for URL's in that domain. So it seems that Squid
requires domains to have at least two-level structure..

One solution I can think is to put a simple WWW-proxy (apache? http-gw?)
on the cache machine, and direct Squid something like:

        cache_host localhost prent 8001 7 no-query
        cache_host_domain localhost fi

(where the default parent is !fi). But it seems to be such a waste because
I know Squid can do DIRECT connections ..

Is there an easy way to configure Squid this way? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

--
santtu@iki.fi                    I have become death, destroyer of the worlds.