Re: Squid and ftp

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:17:47 +0100

De Mees, Frederic wrote:

> My users complain that the password is not embedded in the directory
> listing from a passworded ftp site
> Netscape prompts for the password each time you go deeper
> in the tree.

You should only get a login dialog once, and only when you have a URL
for a directory without a trailing slash on the URL.

> and Internet Explorer does not prompt, resulting in Squid
> complaining for an authentication.

This is a limitation of MSIE. Complain at Microsoft ;-)

> Do you know how to keep the ":password" in the URLs generated by
> ftpget ?

Yes. Add -DNEVER_INCLUDE_PASSWORD when compiling ftpget.c, or change the
assosiated #ifdef to #ifndef.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker