Re: Is Squid slowing down?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:04:24 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Earl Fogel wrote:

> Is Squid slowing down, or have the numbers in access.log changed?
>
> I use a perl script to monitor the average time taken by various types
> of transactions. Here are some sample numbers for 10,000 transactions
> with both old and new squids:

A few quick comments:

0) This is not to say that it does not slow down (I have not measured that).

1) Do not use mean for average response time; it is virtually meaningless.
Use median instead.

2) A distribution of response time rather than single median is better, of
course.

3) Measure it for several days, not 10,000 transactions.

4) Use same days of week for both experiments.

5) Print (at least) numbers for each day, not just the total median to see if
there is any stability in your data...

6) Let us know the results! :)

$0.02,

Alex.

P.S. Statistics could be very misleading if not done properly. I learned it
the hard way.. :)