Re: how to limit on-disk /cache/... size in toto

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 10:55:03 +1000

To answer my own question, under squid-1.2.beta12 the directive

        cache_dir

takes arguments. I suggest that the cache.conf file needs to be updated
to document the meaning of the arguments which I inferred from reading
cache_cf.c after browsing around cf_parser.c

eg

 # TAG: cache_dir [<size> <top-dirs> <fan-out>]
 # Directory for on-disk cache storage. The cache will change into
 # this directory when running. The default is
 # /server/squid/cache.
 #
 # You can specify multiple cache_dir lines to spread the
 # cache among different disk partitions.
 #
 # optional arguments are:
 # size: in mb, shared across all specified cache filesystems
 # comprising /cache
 #
 # top-dirs: how many top-level directories to have under /cache
 #
 # fan-out: how many second level directories to fan out under top-dirs
 #
 # defaults are 100Mb, 16 top level directores and fan-out of 256.
 #
 cache_dir /squid/cache 100 16 256

Maybe the FAQ needs a bit of work!

-George