Re: user name logs

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:43:36 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Basavaraj K Veerappa wrote:

> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:46:14 -0500
> From: Basavaraj K Veerappa <basavak@wiproge.med.ge.com>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: user name logs
>
> Hi All,
> I want to log the user name for the requests coming to
> my proxy. How can I do it? I tried "ident_lookup on", it didnt
> help (I am not sure if it is the right thing to do).

That will work only if the client has an ident server on their machine.

You may want to look at the passwd options instead if you want any kind of
accurate measure taken.

> We want to restrict the connection to Internet through
> our proxy . We want to restrict the http connections only to
> squid on the router. I need to know the port number it uses
> for it's connections. We are using a simple configuration
> there is only one squid server . If I am right it is 3130
> by default. Please help.

Well, block port 80 for all addresses except your cache. You should use
acls to stop outside IP addresses from obtaining objects from your cache
if that's what you meant.

> Thanks
> Bsavaraj
> --
> Basavaraj K Veerappa
> Systems Administrator,
> WiproGE Medical Systems,
> Bangalore-17
> India.
> basavak@wiproge.med.ge.com
> Phone Office:91-80-5268429

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/