Re: New Squid/comments

From: Brian <signal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:01:09 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Tuomo Pyhala wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Brian wrote:
>
> > 2. Is there a simple way to "force" the squid on users? Maybe by some how
> > redirecting outgoing port 80 requests at the Cisco, back to squid? I am
> > just interested in seeing how the squid does with *all* of our users using
> > it. Since I just turned it on, its going to be quite a while before I get
> > thousands of users to go in and configure there browsers to point to our
> > auto-config file.
>
> We are using Squid, and we denied all outgoing http-connections except
> from host running the Squid. Quite effective making users to use
> squid :) Of course, this might cause you some extra phone calls from
> lusers asking why their browser stopped working :)

But you *can* redirect at the Cisco, all port requests back to the squid.
This is what I am trying to do, but it doesnt seem to be working. Yes its
going to give your router a workout, especially a 2500 series, but the
extra latency might be made up by having your cache majorly optimized by
the increased usage.

Brian

| Brian Feeny | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638 |
| Network Administrator | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores, |
| ShreveNet Inc. | USR Pilot | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
| 89 CRX DX w/MPFI, lots of |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/ |
| mods/Homepage coming soon |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.47 |