Re: squid 1.1.20 seem to destroy my scsi hd!

From: Gilles Melanson <gilles@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:18:08 -0500 (EST)

> I'm using squid 1.1.20 on my linux box allocating 700Mb of cache_swap on
> one scsi disk with an Adaptec 1520 controller.
> After 30 days of regular work my Samsung scsi hd seems to have physical
> damages! So i've reinstalled my linux box with another scsci disk (now
> IBM and a more serious Adaptec 2930 controller). After 10 days the same
> problem!
> The error messages on syslog is:
>
> sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:02, sector ....
>
> What's the problem? Squid Cache too busy?

We had similar problems with Usenet on one of our machines;
we will killing Quantums at a rate of one every two months.

The solution? Better drives (IBM is a good choice, actually) and disk
striping/raid0 if you have that much activity. Linux should
support striping out of the box.

--
Gilles Melanson                 ViaNet Internet Solutions NOC
System/Network Administrator    128 Larch St., Sudbury, ON, Can P3E 5J8