Re: Automatic Cache Monitoring

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:35:11 +1000

Yes. I actually use echoping to test _squid_ for liveness. If it ain't live
then as far as I'm concerned it's a problem. I find it a better bet than
testing the box.

echoping -h http://our.organisation.homepage/ proxyaddress:port

Since our homepage is on the same lan as squid, we get a result on the spot. I
_do_ let squid cache the page that I get, since I don't want the status of the
target webserver to affect the query. I only want to know about the proxy.

From a shell-script point of view, echoping returns 0 if it could fetch the
page without trouble. (Therefore the shell variable $? is zero). If it's
anything else, then the fetch through the proxy failed, and all hell breaks
loose as far as getting me alerted is concerned.

--
Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will