Re: Automatic Cache Monitoring

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:39:28 +0100

On Wednesday 11 February 1998, at 12 h 13, the keyboard of rstagg@csc.com
wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on the subject of "testing" Squid for general
> aliveness. I maintain several Squid boxes; I already use "echoping" from a
> central location to check that the boxes are alive periodically. However
> Squid occasionally fails but the machine continues to run; hence echoping
> reports all is well but the service is no longer available.

You surely means ping and not echoping? I use echoping for Squid
monitoring and I can certify (I wrote it, after all) that it fails when
the Squid daemon is dead. Or may be you do not use the -h option of
echoping? (You should.)

> Does anybody centrally monitor their Squid boxes for signs of life (or
> signs of death)? Is there a product or hack out there that will enable me
> to poke Squid and get an "I'm still here" response? Ideally I'd like to
> approach this by just telnetting to a port and receiving a status report
> back.

HTTP has everything you need for that. "echoping -h
http://www.test.zz/test-url/ my-cache.my-domain:3128" is the good test,
IMHO.