squid/dial-out-on-demand

From: Ruud Sengers <rsengers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:37:26 +0100 (CET)

Lo!

Busy building a dial-out-on-demand box a stranded at the following problem:
When configuring squid I noticed that when I am reading a long page in for
example netscape on a remote machine (f.e. Winisoft 95 machine), I got
disconnected (through timeout) and I try to click on a link on that page
(where no DNS-lookup is needed because it's in the cache of the dnsserver
program of squid) I get an error that the requested URL not
could be retrieved. Cause: Network unreachable.

* Is there a possibility to use only an external DNS?
(named is installed on this machine so I could make this machine restart
it's DNS so the cache will be clean)
* Is there a possibility to kill -HUP a dnsserver (squid-dnsserver)?
  Or to restart one so it's ipcache is cleaned?
* Is there somebody else that got the same problem? If yes, how did you
solve this problem?

For the rest I'm very statisfied with squid!

Kind Regards!

Ruud Sengers