Re: Automatic Cache Monitoring

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:51:47 +0100

On Thursday 12 February 1998, at 11 h 15, the keyboard of "Chris Keladis"
<chrisk@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

> Maybe someone with more perl coding experience than me could write a script
> to centrally telnet to port 80 and when the connection fails to mail the
> admins, or even beep a pager.

Try not to reinvent the wheel. System monitoring is a complex thing. The naive script which pings and mail if there is a problem can be a killer if it is called every minute and you leave for one night.

I suggest to base your work on existing systems: BigBother is nice but does only "instant monitoring", no logs and no way to know when something actually failed. Netup is better since it is a permanently runnong daemon, which knows it already mailed you (it mails - or syslogs, at will - when there is a change, not when there is a problem).

Big Brother <http://www.iti.qc.ca/users/sean/bb-dnld/>. See an example in <http://www.globenet.org/BB/>.

Netup/Xnetup <ftp://ftp.pasteur.fr/pub/Network/Netup/>