RE: Automatic Cache Monitoring

From: Chris Keladis <chrisk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:15:59 +1100

Hi Richard,

I'm not much of a Perl expert but when i was mucking about with it, i did
notice there is a TelnetPM library which has most of the code to perform a
telnet from a Perl script (This is available from the CPAN archive i
beleive), and then you can script it to do whatever based on the results of
the telnet.

Maybe someone with more perl coding experience than me could write a script
to centrally telnet to port 80 and when the connection fails to mail the
admins, or even beep a pager.

Optionally, you can use some unix utils like awk, grep, etc, to "grep" for a
certain reply from the Squid, which would be (almost) bullet proof
monitoring of the proxies.

Regards, Chris.