Auto Proxy Configuration?

From: George Ellenburg <gme@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:59:27 -0500 (EST)

I've given up on the idea of running transparent proxying... something
about all of my network traffic flowing through a Linux Box... just
doesn't sit well with me...

An associate of mine has told me there's a way to automatically configure
the proxy set-up for IE and Netscape using Java Script. Is this possible,
and if so, could someone point me to some URLs outlining this, or forward
some sample Java Script so I can get an idea?