Re: Auto Proxy Configuration?

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:07:51 +1100 (EST)

Well... I did both :-)

We distribute a custom Internet Explorer with the manual proxies set up,
we tell customers to use the java proxy config with netscape, and we
transparently proxy the remaining through a Linux box (with tproxyd
compiled with -DPAY_THE_PENALTY)

And... All three setups are in the Squid FAQ :-)

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, George Ellenburg wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:59:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: George Ellenburg <gme@sundial.net>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Auto Proxy Configuration?
>
> I've given up on the idea of running transparent proxying... something
> about all of my network traffic flowing through a Linux Box... just
> doesn't sit well with me...
>
> An associate of mine has told me there's a way to automatically configure
> the proxy set-up for IE and Netscape using Java Script. Is this possible,
> and if so, could someone point me to some URLs outlining this, or forward
> some sample Java Script so I can get an idea?

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/