Re: Ideal setup

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:27:24 +0100

At 05:25 15/02/98 , Gary Palmer wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm setting up a squid and I have a machine with 7 2 gig drives
>to use as the cache store (another 2 gig for root, etc). The
>machine will be running FreeBSD. I have a couple of questions:
>
>- What is the best version of squid for a production environment?
> (even just for testing)

I Use Squid 1.NOVM.17 with connexion-retry patch.
Light traffic : 1500 requests/hour but with no problem since I applied the
connexion-retry patch.

>- What is the best way to handle the drives? Leave them as individual
> drives and just tell squid to use 7 2 gig subdirectories, or
> stripe the drive?

Unlike Squid 1.2.x, NOVM isn't able to use multiple directories. But it's
far more stable!
You can either strip the drive or span the subdirectories accross your
drives using symlinks.
The second solution may be more difficult to use but I think it's more
flexible.
You can for example use 14 first level directories and span them 2 by 2
accross your 7 drives.

>Thanks,
>
>Gary Palmer
>NOC Supervisor