Re: Exceeded 'cache_swap' ...

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:23:49 -0700

Ulrich Herbst writes:

>Hi!
>
>I'm running squid-1.19 (NOVM) and regulary I get some warnings in
>syslog:
>
>squid[3274]: WARNING: Exceeded 'cache_swap' high water mark (3793965K >
>3793920K)
>
>I think, the cache is getting full and therefor, squid has to remove
>some objects. But that's a normal operation (IMO)
>Why is there a "WARNING" ?

Removing objects is a normal operation, but exceeding the high-water
mark is not.

The LRU expiration algorithm is supposed to always keep the
cache_swap value below the high water mark. However, if your
cache is very busy at times, the replacement routines may not
be able to remove objects fast enough.

Is your value for 'LRU Expiration Age' in the cachemgr 'info'
page very low when these warnings appear?

Duane W.