Re: Some sites don't like X-Forwarded-For: unknown

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:50:03 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Arjan de Vet wrote:

> I got a complaint that http://www.low-spirit.de/ gave a "No Object Data"
> error message. After some digging into HTTP headers I found out that this
> site does not like the following header:

The site appears to be running Apache httpd 1.2b10 (yes, a pre-1.2 release
version!); I wonder if it's just something they've coded into their own
data set as opposed to the Web server itself - after all, there is no
ETag, last-mod or expiry date, so I assume their "home page" is actually
some form of nph- script.

> I solved it by replacing "unknown" in http.c with "127.0.0.1". A more
> sophisticated way would be using random IP numbers :-).

Until someone gets sued because Squid inadvertently picked the IP address
of someone important. :-(

No, the site's broken in this case given that the header isn't even a
"standardised" one and therefore can't be "wrong" (per se).

Cheers..

dave