Re: system req's

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:45:02 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, John Rudick wrote:

> I am proposing to my managment that we use squid for dns and webcaching
> at each of our major hub sites. I've have not been able to determine a
> strong set of system requirements for running squid on a bsdi machine.
> Typically an intel p166 w/32 mb of ram, 3.2MB cache, and a 2GB HD does
> real well as a firewall for us. Any ideas on how I can adequately
> predict my system requirements for squid?

We're running 3MB cache with the VM version, and Squid routinely consumes
around 60MB of memory including around 20MB of hot object cache in the VM
version. 32MB won't cut it. Squid has to keep a memory index of all
cache objects, and needs a certain number of bytes per object. The larger
your cache, the higher the baseline memory consumption.

Memory's cheap as dirt these days, go for a full 256MB or more. An 128MB
EDO DIMM around here is only $405, probably cheaper out in San Diego.

The CPU is not a limiting factor, I have a P-133 and handle around 110,000
requests per day, and Squid rarely exceeds 2-3% cpu.

        -Mike Pelletier.