Re: local_ip/local_ip_acl???

From: Dax Kelson <dkelson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:24:37 -0700 (MST)

> > Until the AS/BGP/1.2 gets solid, I'm going to write a script to
> > manually get the networks from my router.
> >
> > Currently I have a rather long "local_ip" line, which is going to get
> > about 20 lines longer when I add these new networks.
> >
> > Is there an easier way to do this? Can I use an external file as an ACL
> > for "local_ip"
>
> Dax - I presume you got my private reply to this, but I figured it
> may be of general interest to the list (we can't be the only ones
> running peer caches over an exchange point). We use the following
> setup:
>
> acl localpeers dst "/usr/local/squid/etc/localpeers"
> cache_host_acl peername !localpeers
>
> This could, of course, be an incorrect way of doing this, but it
> seems to work perfectly on our cache.

I was under the false impression that content on "local_ip" networks
wasn't cached, which was my goal.

Duane informed me that 1.2 will have a "no_cache_acl".

The script is done. It is in perl and uses the Net::Telnet module
and does the following.

1. telnets to a cisco router
2. grabs output of "show ip bgp"
3. CIDRs "classfull" networks and does a little agregation
4. Rewrites the squid.conf file with a new sorted "local_ip" line
5. Sends "squid" a HUP signal

I have it running out of cron once a week.

It would be easy to modify it to use an external acl file and the new
"no_cache_acl" with 1.2.

If anyone wants a copy, send me an email.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.