Re: shift+reload in MSIE

From: R. Vasudevan <vasu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:18:18 -0800

Jeffrey Borg wrote:

> One problem here. The minimum value for MSIE (all versions) is 1% of the
> hard drive!
> now 1% of 3,200 Mb is 32Mb!
> Now that's pretty large! Not much use
>
> Does anybody know the registry vales to try and set this to say 0%?
>
> (this is in all 3.x versions and 4.x)

Actually the minimum is 1% of the partition you choose which need not be the
drive.
Even when we tried fooling the system by creating a very small partition, I
believe
there was still a floor on the local cache.
One way to circumvent this problem is to set the registry to exclude caching
objects specified
by mime types. This is what you can do:

1. Execute "regedit."
2. Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\MimeExclusionList

(You can get to this by doing a "Find" and looking for just the value
  "MimeExclusionListForCache". )

3. Double click on the variable "MimeExclusionListForCache"
4. Add the following additional Mime types at the end of the list
(space-separated)
      text/html image/gif image/jpeg text/plain application/octet-stream
application/x-javascript

This is a per-user registry setting. The list above works for the most part. If
you discover other
mime types which are being cached, add them to the list.

At best, this is a hack to get around what I consider to be a deficiency in
MSIE.

--Vasu