Re: Cisco WCCP and Squid

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:11:08 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> to redirect web requests to a wccp engine on ethernet3/1. The question is,
> will Squid handle Cisco redirects?

As far as I can tell, Cisco hasn't published *any* technical
specifications on the WCCP protocol (I can't find anything on CCO, nor in
any of the Internet drafts held by the IETF) - subsequently, only Cisco
products (or products from vendors under some agreement with Cisco) can
use the WCCP protocol (until someone with enough spare money, time and
generosity decides to reverse engineer the protocol I s'pose).

> This would be a better solution than what John proposes in the FAQ since if
> the proxy server is down then the service is down, whereas the cisco
> implementation is supposed to sense whether the proxy server is up or down.

Yes, this would be a "nice" addition to Squid; but without any
specifications, what's the chance of WCCP appearing in Squid? Pretty slim
I'd say.

If specs *do* become available, I'd be queuing up to be one of the first
beta-testers for WCCP support in Squid (I'd even try and code some of
it, damnit!).

Cheers..

dave