Cisco WCCP and Squid

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:27:00 +0200

I have read thru the Feb archives and only found the pre 11.1 IOS trick for
doing redirect, which fails when the proxy server is down.

In 11.2 there is now WCCP
(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112p10up/11
2p_10/wccp.htm)

with the commands:
ip wccp
inter ethernet3/1
 ip web-cache redirect

to redirect web requests to a wccp engine on ethernet3/1. The question is,
will Squid handle Cisco redirects?

Show commands on Cisco are:
show ip wccp
show ip wccp web-caches

This would be a better solution than what John proposes in the FAQ since if
the proxy server is down then the service is down, whereas the cisco
implementation is supposed to sense whether the proxy server is up or down.

Thanks,
Hank

P.S. I am not on the list so please reply directly to me.