Re: Squid sometimes doesn't use unlinkd

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:57:02 -0700

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:

>I'm not quite sure I understand this. There is no conceptual difference
>between calling unlink() directly and calling unlinkd; why not use unlinkd?
>Our cache now gets so slow sometimes that it is unuseable. All the
>unlink()s take way too much time..

I tried to describe some of this in the FAQ. See

    http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.15

The short answer is that the only way to write unlink requests
to the unlinkd process is by going through storePutUnusedFileno().
And, like I said, if the unused fileno stack is not full, then
no disk space will be freed up.

But! You don't have to take my word for it. Fiddle with the code and
see if it still works okay when you fill the disk and write()'s start to
fail.

Duane W.