Re: Squid sometimes doesn't use unlinkd

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:57:16 +0100

According to Duane Wessels:
> I tried to describe some of this in the FAQ. See
>
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.15

Duane,
        thanks for your patience. Ofcourse I should have read the FAQ
first. Apparently it's too long ago I read it entirely. I'll go LART
myself after I have read the entire document tonight :)

> The short answer is that the only way to write unlink requests
> to the unlinkd process is by going through storePutUnusedFileno().
> And, like I said, if the unused fileno stack is not full, then
> no disk space will be freed up.

Yes, I now understand.

> But! You don't have to take my word for it. Fiddle with the code and
> see if it still works okay when you fill the disk and write()'s start to
> fail.

What if unlinkd wrote back some sort of "I have deleted this file" notice
and only then the cache file would be marked as available ?

If I had some time left I'd have a look at it, but I'll keep it in mind
as something to perhaps spend some time on.

Mike.

--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG