Re: more on thedj.com

From: Matthew Petach <mattp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:45:41 -0800 (PST)

Recently, Brian talked about "Re: more on thedj.com", and said

> > > But realaudio doesnt use port 80, and I only proxy port 80. So shouldnt
> > > that data just go right thru?
> >
> > New versions of RealAudio can use HTTP to request RA clips from sites, but
> > the RealAudio application-layer proxy operates on port 1090. It was built
> > using the TIS firewall toolkit, and is freely distributable. Since it
> > sounds like what you're saying is that you have full routing out to the
> > internet, it sounds like you should just turn off proxy functionality for
> > theDJ player. No?
>
> Thats the thing. Using the dj player, with proxy turned off in the dj
> player, it still doesnt work. DJ player sends requests to port 80, which
> get transparently redirected to port 2138 of the squid. And it doesnt
> work. Everything else has always worked fine, I just don't know what is
> so special about this dj program that it breaks with squid.

I believe that is because the query on port 80 that is sent
to the server triggers a response on a *different* port (port
1090, it would seem according to Mike) with the RA stream.
With Squid in the way, the client IP that is making the
connection is the Squid proxy, NOT the actual person
sitting at their browser. So, the audio stream that is
sent back from the RA server hits the Squid box, and
cannot find an instance of a RealAudio Player to accept
the audio stream, and then aborts. The RA proxy would
handle the work of taking the audio stream and forwarding
it back across to the real requestor. It won't do any
caching, so you wouldn't be saving any bandwidth, but
at least it would allow your users to continue functioning.

The "special" part of the dj program is that it's sending
the response back on a different port, one that Squid doesn't
listen to, and it sends it back to the IP of the far end of
the socket that was opened to the server. :-(

> > > -Mike
> Pelletier. >
>
> /-------------------------- signal@shreve.net -----------------------------\
> | Brian Feeny | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638 |
> | Network Administrator | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores, |
> | ShreveNet Inc. | USR Pilot | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
> | 89 CRX DX w/MPFI, lots of |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/ |
> | mods/Homepage coming soon |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.47 |

Matt

--
InterNex Information Services   |           Matthew Petach {MP59}
Senior Network Engineer         |           mpetach@internex.net