squid-1.1.20, IE4 and HTTP 302 redirects

From: Tim Smith <tim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:56:52 +0000

I have an interesting situation here, as follows

NT Web Server(s) (IIS4) -> Squid 1.1.20 Accelerator -> MSIE4 browser

(Please don't tell me not to use NT - I don't have a choice. I had to
fight just to get a Sun box to front these monsters)

There is a load of ASP stuff running on the NT servers, which issues
HTTP code 302 redirects a lot. If the browser is anything other than
MSIE4 (IE3 works fine, Netscape works, Lynx works, Mosaic works) then
things go swimmingly. Also, when IE4 talks to the NT servers without
going through Squid it works fine.

However, in the situation above, with IE4 talking through the
accelerator to the NT boxen, IE4 will *intermittently* fail to follow
the 302 redirect. It gets it OK, the URL in the location bar changes to
the new one, but it never fetches that new page, displaying "This page
has moved..." as if it didn't support auto-redirects. The squid logs
indicate that it never makes the followup fetch.

I should probably describe it as intermittent success rather than
intermittent failure, as once in about ten tries it will work.

I strongly suspect a bug in IE4 (not that this was my first conclusion -
honest!) as I've tried tracing the HTTP headers in squid and can't see a
difference between what is returned to IE4 and what is returned to the
other browsers, but I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this,
and/or can suggest a workaround.

Thanks for anything (I'm flummoxed).

--
Tim Smith