Re: .asp

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 01:24:20 +1000

.asp is sort of like...well it's...well, if it helps to think of it that
way, go ahead. It's like a web-page where the server gets a hand in
doing the layouts too.

Normally, anything ending in .asp had (I use the _past_ tense here.
Things changed recently):
1) A pragma: no-cache header.
2) A cache-control: private header.
3) A Last-modified time in the futuer (the year 2038 or something)
4) An Expires header dated 1978 (December, if you must know. The 12th).

All of these sort of added up to saying "Don't cache me". And they
weren't. And everyone was happy, except the administrators of
web-caches.

But then along came IIS/4.0 and lo, things changed, some of those
redirects have vanished. Many imprecations, charms, wards, curses, and
balsams against caching were discarded, verily.

Now we simply have a last-modified that looks _just_ long enough before
the request to look honest (but probably isn't), and no other cache
control headers that I can see. In other words "Don't cache me for very
long"...which is a much nicer way of going about it. Heck, for all I
know the last-modified time may be honest, even.

Gone seem to be all those mad tricks. Which is good. But since they were
a 'feature', I imagine they haven't gone far. Just that the microsoft
web site has stopped using them on their own pages.

--
Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will