Re: Squid and FTP caching problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:20:56 +0100

Mike Peyer wrote:
> when I try to get an ASCII file using Netscape,
> (i.e. a README or a 00index.txt file),
> Netscape want to save it on the disk (the file type is recognised
> as binary/octet-stream instead of text/plain).

The problem is to determine when it is a binary file and when it is a
ASCII file. The current implementation uses a simple extension based
table (see include/mime.table), and a default of application/binary if
nothing matches.

README => application/binary, image mode transfer (unknown type)
00index.txt => text/plain, ASCII mode transfer (.txt is known as text)

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker