Re: redirect

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:44:56 +0100

Yee Man Chan wrote:

> What is a redirector? Why do we need a redirect module
> (redirect.c) in Squid? Can anyone explain it to me?

It is not needed, it is a feature.

The intended use is to redirect your users requests from remote servers
to local mirrors, but it can be used for a vide variety of things
ranging from redirection to access control and filtering.

What the redirector does is to rewrite the URLs before the request is
processed by squid.

The only case where a redirector really is needed for Squid to function
properly is when acting as a accelerator for several HTTP servers (more
than one IP).

---
Henrik Nordström