Re: how can I study effectiveness of cache BEFORE installing?

From: John Lauro <jlauro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 98 12:56:50 -0500

On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 11:24:26 -0500, Bob Bagwill wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Without installing it and making people use it, you would get no
benefit.... unless someone upstream installed it as a transparent
proxy, or the site you access has it installed as an accelerator...

>I would like some way of know how much benefit we would get
>from a cache without installing it and making people use it.
>Has anyone used a sniffer or equivalent to pass HTTP to
>a squid server to study the cache effectiveness? Thanks.

To tell the truth, the results depend largely on your user base (what
they do in common and how many of them) and the size of your cache.
Generally speaking, if you have enough people using it (but not so many
to overwhelm the server), it makes enough difference that the users can
notice it is *faster* then not using it.