Starting Squid at system startup

From: Nick O'Brien <N.OBrien@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:06:57 +0000 (GMT)

I am trying to start Squid automatically from my system's startup scripts
(I'm using Digital Unix 4.0B) but I having some some problems.

I have written a short script to do this (see below), placed it in
/sbin/init.d and created a soft link from my /sbin/rc3.d directory making
sure it the last thing to be started. The script appears to be run on
system startup (i.e I get the echos from the script), but when I check to
see if Squid is running it isn't and there is nothing in the squid.out or
cache.log to show that Squid even attempted to start. The script works
fine when run from the command line

My script:

#!/sbin/sh
if [ ! -f /usr/local/squid/cache/log ]; then
   echo "/usr/local/squid/cache is not mounted, checking....."
   /usr/sbin/fsck -p /dev/rrz1c
   echo "Mounting /usr/local/squid/cache"
   mount /dev/rz1c /usr/local/squid/cache
fi

echo "Starting the Squid Web Proxy Cache"
/usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache &

I tried changing the last line of the script to the following but this
made no difference.

/usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache > /dev/null 2>1 &

It is probably some very simple that I am doing wrong, and I will kick
myself when I know the answer, but I can't for the life of me see what is
going wrong.

Any ideas?

        Rgds.,

                Nick.

# Nick O'Brien, Computer Officer "It gives me a headache just to #
# Canterbury Christ Church College think down to your level", Marvin #
# Phone: +44 1227 782468 the Paranoid Android, HHGTTG #
# Email:nick@cant.ac.uk Web:http://www.cant.ac.uk/staff/nick/home.html #