RE: Apache's CacheNegotiatedDocs?

From: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 17:28:00 -0500

Jan

You've answered your own question, but don't yet realise it. The
directive is for NEGOTIATED documents, that is, documents with a content
type that is negotiated between the browser and server, such as a server
that supports multiple languages of the same document URL e.g. Czech and
English, and can determine what the preferred language encoding is from
the headers (can't remember what the exact HTTP header is for this) that
the browser sends with each request. In that case, if you have a file
welcome.html with Czech and English variants, using the same URL, then
it naturally can't be cached because an English person would have a hard
time reading Czech !!!

But, it sounds like your Apache, or at least the files it serves, and
not enabling such Content Negotiation anyhow, so this is most probably
why Squid can cache them. You may need to review your Apache
documentation.

PS: In general, most content-negotiated documents would be HTML, as most
(but not all) GIF/JPG inline images don't contain language-specific text
on them.

Regards

Jason