Re: DNS Server stats

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:02:22 -0500 (EST)

That's probably not a bad thing. If your DNS can respond very quickly, or
your users are nice to your cache and only issue one lookup at a time (I
know, yeah right :-), then Squid will only need to use one dnsserver.
Dnsservers only "fall back" to the next one up if the first one is busy,
so you have to have one pending request to use dnsserver #2, two pending
requests to use dnsserver #3, etc. (assuming that the third lookup after
the two pending is a new lookup).

It sounds to me like you're probably already running more than one
dnsserver, so your system is probably doing just fine. As long as you
aren't seeing blocking calls to gethostbyname() then you might even
consider *lowering* the number of dnsservers active on your system.

        -Bill