Re: Mmmhhh ...

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:27:48 -0700

"Markus Storm" writes:

>Hi *,
>
>I've been constantly bothering this list with my little annyoing
>qeustions about 1.2b though it's not yet production.
>But as long as Duane keeps answering (thanks!), I'll keep on trying :-)
>
>This time, I'm facing the following oddity:
>
>Squid crashes, saying 'cannot write to file, disk full'.
>Indeed, it cannot (I tried writing a a-few-MB-size-file, and it says no
>space on disk).
>However, df says there's still 20 % free, which is 4 GB.
>I know of a bug in the Solaris 2.6 df in conjunction with the minfree param,
>but that may affect the minfree 1 percent of the disk, not 20 % !.
>Anyone who knows if there's maybe something wrong with unlinkd or
>something like that ?
>
>thanks, regards, Markus
>
>PS: 1.1 reduced the swap size when being unable to write to disk
>  instead of crashing.

Squid-1.2 will EXIT if writing a log file fails (cache.log, swap.state, etc).

It will reduce the cache size if writing to a cache file fails, but it
should continue running.

Probably the worst thing about this situation is that by default, the
swap.state file is on the same partition as your swap files. So
if a swap disk fills, squid will exit. But you can change that by
moving the swap.state file(s) to another location.

Duane W.