Re:Transparent proxy, Hardware requirments

From: Daniel Kiracofe <drk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:21:10 +0000 ( )

>I need to install squid on a DEC alpha machine, a linux PC for IP
>filtering, and cisco routers.
>
>I have 180 phone lines, ie 180 simultaniuos connections to both squid and
>linux, anyone can tell me how much hard disk space and memory will I need
>for both machine to give good performance with smallest possible delay ?

 I have setup a squid box for about the same number of users. Originally,
it was a P166 w/ 128 Megs RAM and 5 Gigs disk. The disk proved to be way
too small though (the LRU time was down to 3 days!). So it was upgraded
to 256 megs RAM and 24 Gigs disk. This was connecting to a T1 line.

/* Daniel */
WWW: http://users.gurulink.com/drk
Linux Consultation Specializing in TCP/IP Networking and Web Caching

"Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself" - Mediocrates