Re: Summary: Starting Squid at system startup

From: Christian Krackowizer <kra1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:08:48 +0100

At 17:19 11.03.98 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear All
>
>I previously posted the following:
>
>On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:06:57 +0000 (GMT) Nick O'Brien <nick@cant.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> I am trying to start Squid automatically from my system's startup scripts
>> (I'm using Digital Unix 4.0B) but I having some some problems.
>>
>> I have written a short script to do this (see below), placed it in
>> /sbin/init.d and created a soft link from my /sbin/rc3.d directory making
>> sure it the last thing to be started. The script appears to be run on
>> system startup (i.e I get the echos from the script), but when I check to
>> see if Squid is running it isn't and there is nothing in the squid.out or
>> cache.log to show that Squid even attempted to start. The script works
>> fine when run from the command line
>
>Thanks to all those who replied
>
>The correct answer came from David Richards (dj.richards@qut.edu.au):
>
>The top of the script in /sbin/init.d and /usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache
>should be changed to read:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> trap '' 1 2 3 18
>
>which traps the sigmals which are stopping Squid.
>
>Also the line in RunCache which starts squid should be changed so that
>squid is started by nohup:
>
> nohup squid -sY $conf >> $logdir/squid.out 2>&1
>
>Big, big thanks to David for his help. (Perhaps this is one for the FAQ???)

I have'nt followed the discussion - we did it another way:
We use AIX, HP-UX and Digital-Unix. All these systems have '/etc/inittab'.
We added a last entry '/etc/rc.technodat'. This script is started as last
command during startup and we can enter every needed command/script in the
same form as we would start it from the command line - no need to nohup, no
need to change (foreign) scripts, have enough privilege etc.. and only one
file to manage/backup!

regards from Austria

| Krackowizer Christian mailto:kra1@technodat.co.at |
| TECHNODAT Phone: ++43-(0)662-454944-0 |
| CAD/CAM - Systeme fuer Moebel GmbH FAX: ++43-(0)662-454944-9 |
| Jakob-Haringer-Strasse 6 http://www.technodat.co.at/ |
| A-5020 Salzburg / Austria |