Re: AceSwitch 110

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:56:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Guenther Fischer wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Gabor Dolla wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Guenther Fischer wrote:
> >
> > > read looks fine, but I feel better to hear about someone who has running
> > > such system.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone? Exeperiences? Configuration?
> >

> > Yeah, me too! Also is it expensive ? And I didn't find info on its
> > european availability....
>
> In germany I can get it from Controlware. Look at the web at ACE and ask
> the marketing for dirtributor in hungary.
> I think the price is near 10-12 K $.

Are you looking at the right product? I'd think what you really want is
the ACEdirector 1. Depends on whether you just want cache server
balancing, or if you actually need a gigabit switch. Besides, if you want
to use the ACEswitch with squid boxes, you'll have to be running Solaris,
since they only have drivers for their ACEnic (required for use with the
ACEswitch, as near as I can tell) for NT and Solaris.

Would anyone be interested in something like the ACEdirector, except not
quite so high performance and much cheaper? I could build a unit that does
the same type of job (balance HTTP requests across multiple caches
transparently ... or web servers for that matter) that could easily handle
up to, say, 45Mbps, for about $2000 US.

/ Eric Stern - PacketStorm Technologies - (519) 837-0824 /
/ http://www.packetstorm.on.ca /
/ WebSpeed - a transparent web caching server - available now! /