Re: Having Problems with 1.2 Beta 15

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:15:05 -0500 (EST)

Thanks much. I was thinking for a bit that the kernel crew maybe changed
something at that it was a "bug by design" type of thing. I'm glad to hear
that the bugs you speak of true bugs in need of fixing.

I'll probably hold off on the 2.1.xx kernels until the 2.2.x is available.
The only thing I'm really interested in is the ability of the 2.1.xx
kernels to report the correct number of sent/recieved bytes so that SNMP
(and thus MRTG :-) can see the true traffic travelling through a given
port. You wouldn't happen to know of a patch for the 2.0.xx kernels to do
this would you?

        -Bill

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Dancer wrote:

> 2.1.78 is the only version I have knowledge of.
> Two bugs that we can see:
>
> 1) ip aliasing can cause a null-pointer dereference in the kernel. As
> you can imagine, things go very wrong after that. Reboot to fix.
>
> 2) The kernel sometimes (harder to reproduce) fails to notice a process
> terminate, and thinks that it is _still_ bound to a port, and listening.
> Nothing can bind to the port in future, without a reboot.

[snip]