squid 1.2 beta and internet explorer 4

From: Byron Jones <byronj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:40:39 +0800

greetings

upon upgrading from squid 1.1.20 to the latest 1.2 beta we've had problems
with our internet explorer 4 clients (running on macintoshs only .. we're
not running ie4 on pcs).

ie4 gets up to 'sending request for <file>' then responds with a *dialog
box* that says

  Attempt to load <url> failed.

what a great error message :(

here's an url that always fails :

  http://www.iinet.net.au/help/kb?/dialler

i suspect it's only a problem with urls that require a redirect, as the
following works :

  http://www.iinet.net.au/help/kb/index.cgi?/dialler

i have no problems accessing this url from netscape, and i had no problems
with the older version of squid. i can't downgrade squid because our
parent is running 1.2 beta, and i can't run netscape on these machines
because it crashes frequently.

does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

thanks

   Communications Manager byronj@nd.edu.au
   Notre Dame University http://www.nd.edu.au/byronj/
   Perth, Western Australia ftp://t-man.nd.edu.au/pub/
-[ "Dinosaurs have evolved from Peanut Butter" Symon Aked ]-