Re: squid 1.2 beta and internet explorer 4

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:26:24 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Byron Jones wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:40:39 +0800
> From: Byron Jones <byronj@nd.edu.au>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: squid 1.2 beta and internet explorer 4
>
> greetings
>
> upon upgrading from squid 1.1.20 to the latest 1.2 beta we've had problems
> with our internet explorer 4 clients (running on macintoshs only .. we're
> not running ie4 on pcs).
>
> ie4 gets up to 'sending request for <file>' then responds with a *dialog
> box* that says
>
> Attempt to load <url> failed.
>
> what a great error message :(

Oh, yeah. Don't think that because you're on a Mac that you're not prone
to IE4 brokenness. Are you using a java proxy autoconfig? IE4 doesn't
support java, despite Microsoft's claim that it does.

> here's an url that always fails :
>
> http://www.iinet.net.au/help/kb?/dialler

Ugh. I'm sorry, but a ? followed by a / wouldn't work if I wrote a web
browser too :-)

I think that Microsoft suffer from over-parsing when it should be squid's
or the Web server's problem to sanitize URLs to a certain degree (apart
from spaces->+ which the browser should do)

> i suspect it's only a problem with urls that require a redirect, as the
> following works :
>
> http://www.iinet.net.au/help/kb/index.cgi?/dialler
>
> i have no problems accessing this url from netscape, and i had no problems
> with the older version of squid. i can't downgrade squid because our
> parent is running 1.2 beta, and i can't run netscape on these machines
> because it crashes frequently.

This is a production server????

I'm sorry, but 1.2beta is for non-production environments, and is nowhere
near stable enough for production environments. You should really consider
telling your parent cache to downgrade to something stable like 1.1.20.

> does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

I have a gut feeling you have found another IE4 bug. Report it to
Microsoft, the quickest way to do so would be to send the message via
stdout to /dev/null :-)

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/