Re: FQDN cache taking over for IPcache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:06:16 +0100

Bill Wichers wrote:

> On one of my caches (running 1.1.20 with no patches, on a Linux 2.0.30
> (redhat) machine using "old" BIND (pre-BIND-8)) has started using the FQDN
> cache "in place" of the ipcache. I didn't change anything in the config

Squid uses the FQDN cache to
1. Source domain based client access control
2. request access control on IP based URL:s
2b. request access control on a transparent proxy without Host: header
support.
2c. ... a child cache is transparent without Host: header support..
3. Probably something else as well

The IP-cache is used to get the IP to the server, and is not used if you
have parents handling the request and source_ping is disabled (which is
the default by good reasons. You should never turn on source_ping on
Internet Squids).

So if your cache has some access controls enabled, and some parents up
and running, then you should not see much requests to IP-cache. Only to
FQDN-cache.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker