Re: Pb with some url indirection

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:37:30 -0500 (EST)

I've had similar problems and was able to solve them through the use of
the connect-retry patch. What was happening for me is that one of several
IP addresses for a given name would be down, and if Squid tried to query
one of those it would time out. The connect retry patch gives Squid the
intelligence to figure out which IP's are failed -- if any -- and use the
ones that work.

The ICMP pinging stuff (compile time option) helped my cache in the
hierarchy. It allows Squid to determine which parent would be best to
fetch a particular object from, thus lowering the total response time.

        -Bill