Re: squid sizing

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:42:39 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Also, we/you could define a template for such information and
> people could include it in the announcment they send to our
> thing at http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/Tracker/caches/.
> Squid's annoucement feature already lets you send the contents of
> any file with the other announcment data.

So you're thinking along the lines of beefing up the cache tracker so that
caches would announced their configuration along with their presence.
Interesting idea. If this is the way to go, it should probably only happen
when the cache is first booted to conserve bandwidth, unless the caches
can continually update parameters like their system load and
connections/hour numbers...

A form might be better for static use, but I think that is something those
on the list can better decide than just me. Personally, I think the
cache_tracker idea is probably a little better provided it can be adapted
as necassary.

My little quicky form (not a web form, just a list of parameters to use)
is below. I probably left out lots of good stuff -- I just stuck this
together real quick in no particular order.

        -Bill

---- snip 8< ----
OperatingSystem: <OS>
SystemProcessor: <CPU type>
ProcessorSpeed: <CPU speed in MHz>
SMPQTY: <number of processors>
SystemRAM: <xxx MB>
SystemDisk: <disk type>
RAID: <RAID level, no entry = not using RAID)
DiskQTY: <number of disks>
DiskIfType: <disk interface type>
NetIfType: <network interface type>
NetIfSpeed: <network interface speed in Mb/s>
SystemLoad: <avg system load>
ConnectPerHour: <connections per hour>
ParentsQTY: <number of parent caches>
SiblingsQTY: <number of sibling caches>
UsersQTY: <number of users>
LeafQTY: <number of leaf caches (leaf cache uses this cache as a parent)>
CacheSize: <cache_swap value>
CacheRAM: <cache_mem value>
OtherInfo: <miscellaneous textual information>