Re: squid 1.1.21 dies with signal 6 every hour

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:54:09 +0200

Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> Here are some extracts of the logfile. Apparently, it gets a SIGSEGV.
> I think, the hardware is okay since 1.1.20 never showed these problems
> and they startet from the moment I installed 1.1.21...
>
> FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.
> 1998/03/26 14:00:01| storeWriteCleanLog: Starting...
> 1998/03/26 14:00:02| 4096 lines written so far.

Is there anything interesting before the fatal error in the log file?

To my knowledge Squid does not schedule anything based on hours, and
your squid seems to die exacly on each hour (or not at all). There are
some things that are delayed or run with a hour interval, but if this
was the cause then your Squid should die with a interval of somewhat
more than one hour, and not on the same time each hour..

Check your crontabs (and cron log) some more. I still think you have
something running that triggers something in Squid.

Since it seems to die exactly on the hour, you could try to enable debug
logging before it dies (squid -k debug). run squid -k debug at 2
miniutes before full hour, and we should get a quite clear picture of
what Squid was doing when it dies (if it does). If it doesn't die you
can run squid -k debug again to return the logging to normal.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker