Re: Multiple disk and free space

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:55:44 -0500 (EST)

Every cache_dir entry is the same size. If you have, for example, 10 GB of
total cache_swap, and 5 cache_dir entries, then each cache_dir will be 2
GB. They way to use drives of different size is to place multiple
cache_dir's on each drive so as to make the math work out to fill up all
the drives. Assuming you had two 4.7 GB drives and one 6.4 GB drive in one
machine, you'd set things like this:

cache_swap 15 GB (leaving some space for logs which I'm told aren't
counter by squid when determining if it is at the cache_swap value)

cache_dir /6.4GB/dir1
cache_dir /6.4GB/dir2
cache_dir /6.4GB/dir3
cache_dir /4.7GB-A/dir1
cache_dir /4.7GB-A/dir2
cache_dir /4.7GB-B/dir1
cache_dir /4.7GB-B/dir2

This results in cache_dir's of about 2.14 GB each, and will fill your 4.7
GB drives to 4.28 GB each, and 6.42 GB on your 6.4 GB (which is probably a
bit more than can safely fit, but this is just to give you and idea...).

If you use enough cache_dir's you should be able to get your drives [retty
well balenced in terms of % utilized on each drive.

        -Bill